Identifying Customer Avatar Is Important To Your Business
In today’s blogpost, I am going to be discussing on what is customers avatar or in simple words customers profile. Why is identifying customer profile is important? Without identifying the right customer profile, you will be eventually wondering why you are not making any sales or increasing in your business. You will open shop and wondering why people are not coming to your place of business.
Having the right customer profile can mean either a life or death to your business. Imagine opening a high end coffee shop such as Starbucks in an area of low income earners. You can be sure that the people there will not be spending RM 16 for a coffee as to RM 2 for coffee at the nearby Mamak shop.
“To market a product or service properly, the first thing you must do is get clear on WHO your ideal customers are, where they are normally located, what their goals and challenges are…”
Getting the right customer profile enable you to plan a proper sales and marketing strategies. Some of the strategies will include
- Creating the right type of contents for your websites, video ads and prints ads.
- Determining the right type of methods to drive traffic to your business, whether they are foot traffic or websites traffic.
- Products and services that your ideal customer will be looking for.
- Assist in crafting the best copywriting contents for both print ads and web contents.
- If you are doing email marketing, it will help to write the best email contents to the customers.
So, in order to identify the right customer profile, here are some of the main components that need to be identified.
1. Goals and Values
Determine your ideal customer goals and values. You should list down the goals and values of your ideal customers. The goals and values information will be used as a reference in preparing any marketing materials.
In the example below, I am going to give an example of a customer avatar for a real estate agent selling high end real estate.
- To have a comfortable sized house for the family
- House in a safe environment
- House with ample land for gardening
- Involvement in community activities
- Ensuring good relationship with neighbours
2. Sources of Information
This component of the customer profile is important to determine where your ideal customers are usually hanging out. Basically you will need to identify the following
- What books do they like to read?
- What magazines do they like to read?
- Which blogs or websites they like to visit?
- What type of conferences do they attend?
- Who are their Gurus?
- Any other places they go to or things they like to do
With the above information, it will provide you with the best options or places for you to target your advertisement. The above information will also assist you in determine the audiences interest when placing ads on facebook.
3. Demographic Information
This component will be the one that will make your ideal customer come to life. This demographic information is very important if you are using facebook as one of your advertising platform.
Here are the main demographic information that you need to know for your ideal customers.
- Their age
- Their gender
- Their marital status
- The number of children they have
- Their currents location
- Their occupation
- Their job title
- Estimated annual income
- Their level of education
- Other interest
4. Challenges and Pain Points
This component will help you in the development of your new product or services. You need to list down the challenges or pain points of your ideal customers. In the following example, I going to list down the challenges and paint points of ideal customer of a gym
- Gym location near his office or house
- Start exercising
- Fnd the right personal trainer
- Being overweight
- Prone to disease
- Feeling tired
In this component, you are going to identify what are the most common objections that your ideal customers would have in purchasing your products or services.
Taking example of gym ideal customer again, some of the most common objections would be
- Does the training enable him to meet his weight loss target
- Will he be able to utilise his time in coming to the gym
- Will he be losing money and not getting what he wants
- Is the cost of gym membership affordable to him.
6. Role in Puchasing Process
This is the most important component of your ideal customer. Who has the final say in the buying decision? For a Business to Consumer (B2C) type of products, normally the decision making process is quite clear. In case of gym membership, it is normally the person directly, although he or she may asked their respective partners.
As for Business to Business (B2B) type of products and services, the role in the purchase is very important. Obviously for a small enterprise, it would be the owner. But for a medium or large corporation, they would normally be a process in their purchasing of your products and services. This will have to be identified in the early stage.
It is advisable for you to create multiple types of customer profiles for different types services or products that you are offering. By doing this, you can have a specific types of your contents to target different types of customers.